It’s here. Introducing the Silhouette Alta®, Silhouette’s first 3D printing machine. Create custom objects in the Silhouette 3D® software and print 3D versions of those objects with the Alta machine. This machine is designed to take your creativity to a whole new dimension!
What is 3D printing?
3D printing is the process of creating a physical 3D object from a digital model. The digital model is prepared for 3D printing through a process called slicing, where the software breaks down the printing process by each layer. When the slicing process is done, the software sends the information to the 3D printer, which prints one thin layer of melted filament at a time. When the filament has cooled down, the 3D object is complete.
Features of Silhouette Alta®
- Comes precalibrated and preassembled
- Can print custom 3D designs
- Comes with its own 3D printing software, Silhouette 3D®
- Allows you to adjust your print settings depending on the project
- Prints at fast and slow speeds
- Prints at low and high temperatures
- Prints up to 120 mm tall and 116 mm wide
- Allows you to build your own 3D designs with Silhouette Snap Kits
- Prints objects with any 1.75 mm PLA filament
- Prints Silhouette 3D® files as well as third-party files (.STL and .OBJ formats)
How does it work?
Insert the end of the filament through the filament hose and feeder at the top of the machine. Open your design in Silhouette 3D® and select your print settings. Select “Slice” and the software will then determine the layers to print. When you are ready to print your design and your machine has heated up the plastic filament to the indicated temperature, the Alta will begin printing your object. When the machine is done printing and the filament has cooled, you’ll have your 3D object.
What are important supplies for 3D printing?
While the Silhouette Alta® will work with any 1.75 mm PLA filament, Silhouette is selling rolls of 500 grams of filament in seven different colors: black, blue, green, pink, red, white, and yellow. You can create hundreds of shapes with just one roll.
Included in the Alta box will be sheets of platform tape that you will apply to the build plate of the Alta. This tape is important because it prevents your designs from sticking to the platform, thus making your objects easier to remove and extending the life of your build plate.